Stephen Abberley - Cwmlliw Farm, Powys
Stephen Abberley, Cwmlliw Farm, Brecon, Powys
Stephen and Louise Abberley and their family run a sheep farm in Brecon which includes pedigree Texel and Blue Faced Leicester performance recorded flocks. He has a commercial flock of 400 North England Mules with lambs finished from grass.
- Uses homebred Texel rams on his commercial flock
- Indoor lambing with the majority born at the end of March – 90% to first cycle
- Fully recorded at birth and weighed every 2-3 weeks from end of June
- Lambs run as one mob from weaning and are finished from grass where possible
- Target 40kg live-weight for slaughter with the majority killed between July and September
Stephen explains, “I applied to be part of RamCompare with my commercial flock as I was interested in comparing different breeds to see how rams with high figures perform within our current system and which breeding traits are of most benefit to our commercial lamb enterprise.