Job Opportunity - Signet Breeding Specialist
At the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), we inspire our farmers, growers and industry to succeed in a rapidly changing world. Working at AHDB, you won’t just be helping our farmers produce the food we eat and look after our environment, you’ll be helping shape the future of food production and leaving a legacy for the next generation.
Based in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, we are currently recruiting for a Signet Breeding Specialist on a permanent basis. This role has responsibility to manage and act as the Account Manager for Breed Societies and breeding groups, listening to their views, solving problems and communicating back to the Signet Manager. Signet Breeding Servicers deliver genetic evaluations to around 450 pedigree levy payers, assisting with performance recording beef and sheep for livestock farmers to help them identify cattle and sheep with superior breeding potential.
The role requires a proactive and organised individual with expertise in the sector and the flexibility to travel across the UK.
- Support Sheepbreeder and Beefbreeder customers through explanation, interpretation and advice of genetic evaluated performance records and the resultant EBVs and Indexes to lead to the better understanding and use of genetic evaluations
- Provide interpretation and advice to develop breeding programmes to individuals and breeds
- Management of accounts relating to individual Breed Societies, developing opportunities for greater liaison between Societies and Signet
- Ensure clients understand the performance recording and genetic analysis services, and explain the importance of the latest technical developments associated with the use of ultrasound scanning, computed tomography, FEC sampling and the use of gene markers
- Work with the media to communicate the importance of breeding to the industry through the Farming Press
- Create and deliver relevant knowledge transfer articles, PowerPoint presentations and practical demonstrations as part of the AHDB Beef and Lamb knowledge transfer programme
- Present breeding messages to commercial producers on behalf of AHDB Beef and Lamb
- Recruit and retain customers of the Beefbreeder and Sheepbreeder service, and train others in the delivery of breeding messages
- Relevant degree in biological, agricultural or related discipline, or significant experience in the farming or meat industry (UK beef and sheep industry)
- Knowledge of ultrasound scanning for muscle depth and fat depth
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to build excellent relationships with farming, auctions and abattoir operators
- Persuasive and effective influencer, credible with breeders and breed society employees
- Ability to work on independently and organise own a busy and varied workloads to strict timescales
- Full UK Driving Licence a willingness to travel long distances and undertake overnight stays away from home
Benefits – here are just a few things we offer to attract and retain the right people
- An extensive benefits package including 33 days annual leave plus one privilege day (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- A single private medical health scheme
- Life assurance cover (4 x salary)
- A market-leading defined contribution pension scheme with Legal & General
- Applause Awards – every three months we celebrate employees who embrace our values; the core moral principles that are at the heart of everything we do
- Ambitious in Agriculture Awards – annual awards announced at staff conference in December
- Access to government Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Perkbox membership – this gives you a huge number of online discounts and savings
- Excellent training and development opportunities and an agreed development plan
Apply now or call 02476 935722 if you require any further information.
Please note we reserve the right to close the vacancy early should we receive a significant number of suitable applications.